Sunday, July 03, 2005

Kindness, The Act of

This morning I went to Cracker Barrell to have a "Country Boy's Breakfast" with cold apple cider and some apple jam with my biscuits. I just had the urge, and since a friend of mine woke me this morning prematurely with a phone call, I figured I had plenty of time for it.

About 10 minutes after sitting down, an elderly couple sits at the table next to me. The older man asks me where I am from and I do the same. A conversation then ensues. I find out he and his wife have been married for 50 years, he is a Navy veteran of Korea, his kids and their kids have all served in the military, and his wife really doesn't like the Yuma heat.

Well, I eat my breakfast and about the time I was reaching for the check this guy picks it off my table. Of course I question him, and his reply was, "I once was hitch hiking home after leaving the service, and a fellow that had picked me up drove me about forty miles and dropped me off. After some time passing, he drove back and gave me 20 dollars."

After another minute, I ask him to reconsider and that I could get it. His wife then replied with, "You can get our check the next time."

I shook both their hands and said my farewell. They wished me luck.

I know that I will probably never see this couple again, but I wish I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment