Thursday, August 30, 2007

Care Packages, Part II

Some people that do not know me personally think I am am asshole. They are probably right and I will agree. It is easier to be an asshole than it is to be a nice guy.

What a hell of a way to start this post.

I am a point of contact for couple a donators to our unit. Also I received mail from individuals and couples after I write them. I do not email too many people from out here. I write a semi-formal letter expressing my thoughts and feelings about what was sent to me or our unit via me. Most of the things sent are addressed directly to me and probably not originally intended to be shared. Fact is, I share (or give away) about 75 percent of what I receive in the mail. That is a lot in anyone's book. I am not asking for sympathy, gratitude, or even a thanks. I do what I think is a morally sound judgement for the betterment of the men and women in the Marine Corps and our sister services.

Today I received a box addressed to me. The box was a thank you from Jeff Bader about a letter I wrote to his wife.

There is an item in the box that my colleagues have told me is quite valuable, but I do not want it or need it. Tomorrow I will be giving this item to a lucky Lance Corporal or Private First Class or Private. The name is going to be picked at random from a list of names that were submitted be our unit's Staff Non-Commissioned Officers. This was the fairest method I could devise in giving it away.

I will post the results tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment