Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Fun with Navy Medicine, Part XX

I am braving the typing it will take to do this today with one hand. According to my doctor the surgery was a success. But not all things went the way I foresaw them.

The night of surgery, after the local anesthesia wore off, the drugs(pills) were not taking care of the pain. So with help from a friend (and for the next few days) I was admitted to the ER. Long story short, I ended up going back to the hospital three times before receiving a pain pump and a needle sticking out of chest.

With this new edition, bathing for myself stopped. I pretty much have taken field showers since the surgery. For those of you who don't know, this is basically cleaning just the important parts with a sanitary wipe. Not the ideal thing to do, but it gets me by for now.

Yesterday, I was fitted for a cast. Unfortunately on two fronts, one I still have the pain pump attached but with nothing pumping into my body. Kind of a trial period to make sure oral medication will take. And two, the cast was not fitted correctly. Last night I went back to the ER because my fingers were turning blue. At the ER, the cast was split and an ace wrap put around it.

Tomorrow, hopefully, the pain pump will be taken off with the needle sticking out of my chest. Also, I am hoping for a refit for the cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment