Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Blanket

I have a blanket that is nylon/polyester/cotton mix with a pattern on one side. I think I may have bought it at a dollar general or family dollar or a big lots or some type of store like those. The pattern is of Winnie the Pooh, Donald Duck, Mickey and Minnie Mouse and is repeated 3 times on the blanket. There is a purple border or it may have been the field. The blanket is for a twin or double sized bed. I do know I bought it before my first deployment aboard the USS Nassau in 1996.

The pattern is no longer vibrant with color and can hardly be called a blanket anymore. I still use it everyday. There are holes in various locations throughout and there is a hydraulic stain in the lower left hand corner from my second deployment on the USS Saipan in 1998 from when I was sleeping on the hangar deck waiting for my stick to leave the ship.

My blanket has been to Main Land Japan, Okinawa, Mexico, Canada, Greece, France, Malta, Zaire, America, Kuwait, Italy, Iraq, Congo, and a few others. My blanket has been in the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian oceans. It has seen a Shellback or two and has been to Operation Iraqi Freedom.

I am thinking I may have to retire this blanket soon or it may be lost forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment