Friday, October 12, 2007

RevGals Friday Five: The B-I-B-L-E

(Keep in mind, if the below answers seem to make no sense, it is because they don't.)
So, in the spirit of dealing with ways to help as many people in a community as possible engage with a scriptural text in preparation for Sunday worship, Mother Laura offers her first Friday Five.

1. What is your earliest memory of encountering a biblical text?

I was slightly higher than the knees of a grasshopper, but shorter than a grizzly bear.

2. What is your favorite biblical translation, and why? (You might have a few for different purposes).

I really don't know the answer to this question. If it has a glossary for some of those hard to use Hebrew words, that would help. I grew up with the King James version, I believe.

3. What is your favorite book of the Bible? Your favorite verse/passage?

Revelations is always a fun read.

Psalm 119:105
Your word is a lamp to my feet
and a light for my path.

4. Which book of the Bible do you consider, in Luther's famous words about James, to be "an epistle of straw?" Which verse(s) make you want to scream?

I am not sure why James was not worthy of a gospel and not familiar enough with the Bible. As far as screaming, I scream at all books that scream at me first.

5. Inclusive language in biblical translation and liturgical proclamation: for, against, or neutral?

Does this really matter? Let there be light! It didn't work. Let there be sun! That didn't work either. I think I will just flip the switch...and behold there was light!

Bonus: Back to the Psalms--which one best speaks the prayer of your heart?

I think I covered this already. So does that mean I win a prize? Oh wait, Psalm 23 or Psalm 91. Not really sure which one I like better.

No comments:

Post a Comment