Monday, December 31, 2007

The End of 2007

Here we are at the end of 2007. What a year it has been. I don't want to reflect on the year, not because it was "oh so bad" or because I have been deployed for approximately ninety-seven point three, six, two percent of it. No, I want to reflect on the December 31st's that have transpired for me over my adult life. This post is my comparison.

I have had years where I was a designated driver for a people who didn't need a DD because they did drink anyway or for some who really needed a babysitter not a driver. I have had few while married, some were good, some were bad and one was bliss. I have had many alone. I have spent my evening in bars, bedrooms and bathrooms. There have been years when I was too drunk to make it and didn't see the ball drop. I have been on duty. I was in a bar fight once during the change over, it is one I would like to forget. I have had a new year celebration while on a ship while we were transversing the Adriatic Sea.

As the year changes over into the new year here, I will most likely be eating my lunch and if lucky a football game will be on in the DFAC. The day will transition into the next without skipping a beat and no change in the "feeling" of the day, month, year will actually take place.

While for me, tomorrow will be just another day; for you, may freedom ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment